Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Why We Walk.

I don't personally know anyone who has battled breast cancer. I thank God for that. But, everyday women battle this terrible disease. My cousin Valerie has a friend who is currently battling breast cancer. She was diagnosed during her pregnancy. She went through chemo while she was pregnant. I can't imagine what she has had to go through. She is an inspiration to us all. You can read her story here. After attending my first Race for the Cure event I was hooked. You see survivors. You see families honoring their loved ones who fought the battle and lost. It is very emotional.

I may not know anyone with breast cancer, but I still raise money and walk for my family. I walk for my mom. I walk for my sister. I walk for my aunts and cousins. I walk for my friends. I walk for myself. Most importantly, I walk for my girls. Any of us could be diagnosed at any time. And, I pray that if that ever happens they will have already found a cure. Click here for instructions on how to donate to Kinnison & Kimber.

Here are some breast cancer statistics:

In 2010, it was estimated that among U.S. women there would be [31]:

  • 207,090 new cases of invasive breast cancer (includes new cases of primary breast cancer among survivors, but not recurrence of original breast cancer among survivors)
  • 54,010 new cases of in situ breast cancer (includes ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) and lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS), of those, about 85 percent were DCIS)
  • 39,840 breast cancer deaths

Breast cancer in men is rare, but it does happen. In 2010, it was estimated that among U.S. men there would be [31]:

  • 1,970 new cases of breast cancer
  • 390 breast cancer deaths

Photobucket

No comments: