Pages

Saturday, March 2, 2013

No Regrets.

Thursday Mom and I were shopping in Fayetteville. My Grandma told me they were going to Fayetteville too. I told her to call if they needed help with anything. At about noon Grandma called and said Grandpa had an uncontrollable nose bleed. He is on a blood thinner which is what caused his internal bleeding a year ago. We drove as fast as we could to Sam's to get them. We saw Grandpa and immediately knew he needed to go to the hospital. He was bleeding everywhere. By the time we got to the ER he was coughing up blood. They said it wasn't intestinal, but was the nose bleed draining down his throat. It was really hard to watch. They checked  the thickness of his blood and his hemoglobin levels. Everything was normal. They gave him a nasal spray and inserted a small balloon type thing and inflated it.  It stopped the bleeding. By the time he got home he had a headache and was very tired. He had a rough night. Yesterday his eye started hurting. He has some facial swelling as well. He goes back to the doctor on Monday to get the balloon removed. I am hoping that makes him feel better and that the bleeding has stopped.


My Grandparents mean so much to me. They are wise, hard working, honest, caring, amazing people. One of the hardest things in the world is watching them grow old. I regret not appreciating them more when they were younger. My Grandma will be 80 this year and my Grandpa will be 85. I am so incredibly blessed that I have gotten to spend so much time with them and that my children will be able to remember them. There is not a day that goes by that my kids don't ask to go visit their Grandma and Grandpa!


When one of them is in the ER Mom, Charity and I sit with them. Last year when Grandpa was in the hospital Mom and I stayed with them all day. I would drop Kinnison off and take Kanyon with me. Grandpa enjoyed the company. He loves his Grandkids more than anything in the world. And, it provided a distraction for Grandma. I would leave the hospital just in time to pick Kinnison up from school. Grandpa was so weak he couldn't even walk to the bathroom, so we would help Grandma take care of him. We bought them food and took them clothes. I even took Grandma to the mall to get her hair done. I have taken Grandma shopping, cleaned their house, cooked them food, and taken them to the doctor. The roles have reversed now. They need our help. I am trying to repay them for all that they have done for me.  I am doing everything I can to make their lives easier so they can enjoy the time they have.  Sure, they can be opinionated. They will tell you when you make a mistake and they will disagree with you and give you unsolicited advice. And, I love it. Haven't they earned the right? They have seen and done so much in their lifetime. And, in the end all they want is for us to be safe and happy. They worry and stress so much about the people they love.


It breaks my heart to see their feelings hurt or see them upset. And, I have seen it a lot the past couple of years. I'll never understand it. All I can do is make sure that I appreciate every single day that I have with them. I will strive to make their lives easier, make them happier and to make them proud. I don't want to regret a single thing when they are gone. 


My Grandma is one of the strongest women I have ever known. She has been through so much. She has taken care of my Grandpa for 62 years! Thursday she stood by his bedside wiping blood from his face. She waited on him hand and foot.  She is smart, wise, witty, funny and stubborn! She has great instincts. She is a wonderful cook. She knows everything about our family history and has worked very hard to preserve it for generations to come. She is an amazing woman!


I am so incredibly blessed. 

Please say a prayer that my Grandpa gets well. I am so thankful for the time we have had, but I am selfish. I'm not ready to lose them yet. 
Photobucket

No comments: