I have helped raise money for local charities since I was in junior high. My favorites are Race for the Cure, Polar Bear Plunge and the American Heart Walk. One of my favorite events is the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. This charity is near and dear to my heart. I am a women. I have a mom. I have a sister. Most importantly, I have two daughters. Although I have participated in this event in the past, I did not get passionate about it until Kinnison was born. This will be Kinnison's fourth year to walk in the Race for the Cure with me. This is her first year to be registered as a participant. She has raised more money than I have! This will be Kimber's second year to participate. I hope that my girls will share my passion and carry on this tradition with their children.
If you would like to sponsor one of us, click on this link:
Type in Jamie Hamilton or Kinnison Hamilton.
Here are some statistics off of the Komen Ozark Race for the Cure website.
National Statistics
- An estimated 182,460 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to occur among women in the United States during 2008. An estimated 40,480 women will die from breast cancer.
- An estimated 1,990 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in men in 2008 and 450 will die.
Being female is the most important risk factor for breast cancer. Although men can develop this disease, it is about 100 times more common among women. - Studies of exercise and breast cancer have had consistent results, women who are physically active on a regular basis seem to have an approximately 20 percent lower risk (0.8 relative risk) of the disease compared to women who aren't active regularly.
- At this time there are slightly more than two million women living in the United States who have been diagnosed with and treated for breast cancer.
I know that right now is a difficult time for a lot of people. If you are unable to donate there are other ways to help. You can participate or volunteer to help on race day. Thank You!




No comments:
Post a Comment