This going to be a two part post. I am going to write about Luke as a father. Closer to our anniversary I am going to write about Luke as a husband.
(Teaching the girls how to skip rocks! HA)
Ten years ago I took a gamble. I got married. I loved Luke. I *thought* I knew what kind of husband and father he would be. I saw the potential. I hoped I was right.
Well, I was wrong.
He has surpassed every expectation I ever had. I gambled and I hit the jackpot!
Next week Luke is having his 2nd Annual Daddy & Me Campout. He wanted to do it. He organized it himself. He WANTS to spend time with our kids. He isn't doing it to pacify them or to meet some quota of fatherly obligations. He is really excited about it. He takes the kids camping all the time, but this is different. He invites other dads hoping that they will spend quality time with their kids.
He has invited a lot of dads and some of the responses he has gotten are very sad. A lot of people have their priorities mixed up. Luke doesn't view our children as an obligation. They are his best friends. If you gave him a choice of hunting by himself for a weekend or camping with them he would pick camping.
Most of the time I change the diapers, take care of baths, pack lunches, clean house, cook meals, plan trips, chauffeur kids, ect. But, if I ask him for help he is always ready and willing. We are a team. And, we are a really good team.
He has taken over Devotionals with the kids, he takes them hunting, fishing, camping, and coaches t-ball. He fixes them breakfast and plays board games with them. He does all of this while working two jobs. The days he works at JB Hunt he is gone 14 hours. He gets up at 3:30 am. On his days off he works on mowers or clearing our land. Guess what he does on his lunch and on the way home from work? He coupons! I told you I hit the jackpot! He works harder than anyone I have ever met, but that doesn't stop him from spending time with his kids.They miss him so much when he is gone. As soon as he gets home they demand all of his attention. He is exhausted and usually has things that need to be done, but he always takes time to hug each of them and ask about their day.
I LOVE that he always makes them a priority and I LOVE that he wants to participate in every aspect of their lives. He is the most amazing father and I am the luckiest girl in the world!
No comments:
Post a Comment